dorothy day



You will be surprised but there was many a morning after sitting all night in taverns or coming from balls over at Webster Hall that I went to an early Mass at St. Joseph's Church on Sixth Avenue. It was just around the corner from where I lived, and seeing people going to an early weekday Mass attracted me. What were they finding there? I seemed to feel the faith of those about me and I longed for their faith. My own life was sordid and yet I had had occasional glimpses of the true and the beautiful.

So I used to go in and kneel in a back pew of St. Joseph’s, and perhaps I asked even then, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner."

2 comments:

Matt Tullos said...

Thanks for introducing me to dorothy day. Another beloved sister to discover:-)

~pen~ said...

she is, in a word: awesome.

(thanks for visiting :)