the intimate Merton, his life from his journals



what a cool book. i am absolutely in love with this man and may start quoting him along side my blog like my friend julie d. does when she happens upon a little sumpin' sumpin' she wants to share, rather than devote a thread to it.

whaddya think? i shall start here, but it shall end up over ----->

in fact, to want to recapture anything you have had or owned or experienced is a bigger vanity and unhappiness than to want to possess some present good that is before you.

thomas merton
the intimate merton

3 comments:

Julie D. said...

Ohhhhh, that is good! Please keep quoting ... you may get me so worked up I'll have to go buy my own book... :-)

Unknown said...

P - I'm lovin' it!! You rock. Merton too. ;)

no really, i'd have saved myself a lot of grief a few years back if i'd only heard that. uhoh... i feel a post coming on. bye!

~pen~ said...

hey david - i did, in fact, read about the hoopla - i posted about it here: http://martha2.blogspot.com/2005/01/cns-story-thomas-merton-scholars-upset.html

this book is so wonderful. i think it's been a long time since a book (other than the bible i have) has drawn me in so closely. i feel like i am in my own world, but i also feel as though my dad is looking over my shoulder, pointing to sections he, too, loves.

p