birthday musings

You came into this world at 2:37 a.m. on June 18, 1993. I remember it like it was yesterday - I had felt the onset of my labor pains earlier in the day and took to tending the garden and baking banana bread, indulged in a movie and finally called your dad home from work around 10:00 p.m. and said I thought it was "time." I met my doctor at the hospital at 11:30 p.m. and a little over three hours later you were born, tiny and precious and a girl, after two boys. We couldn't have been more pleased.

You were precious as a little one and I took many opportunities to photograph your gorgeous brown eyes. You were afraid of the "Happy Birthday" song up until you were six and were as shy as could be up until then, as well.

While you challenge me at every turn, you inspire me with your kindness toward animals, your fierce loyalty to your friends and especially your family --- you missed your 8th grade graduation this past Friday because it was your nanny & poppy's 50th wedding anniversary and handled yourself with a great deal of aplomb and grace and you made us exceedingly proud. Cool thing your Uncle did, presenting you with your actual diploma in front of 150 people at the party -- again, you were grace.

Happy 14th birthday, my beloved daughter. I wouldn't trade these past 14 years for the world, am proud of the amazing young woman you are already and am looking forward to the incredible lady you will become.

I love you,
Ma.

No comments: