Red Letter Days

For whatever reason, I assume it is because I am led of the Spirit but mostly, because I have tossed aside whatever trepidation I have had in the past, I am reading the words of Christ, which are in red letters in my bible.

Actually, I think they are in red letters in a lot of bibles.

They are remarkable. He speaks in parables, wisdom of the simple to fool the wise, stories, analogies, metaphors, the Word of God Himself, talking to Penni at 5:00 a.m., while she sips on coffee and struggles to understand. Yes, the *easier* ones are, well, easier to understand; but I have to tell you, I have stopped in my tracks to read and re-read and re-read again, for a third or even fourth time, to try and *get it*.

Why is it so easy to digest when it is coming from Paul in a letter to his friends in Ephesus?

When it is coming from My Lord and My God, He indicts me to my very core. He implicates me in every other sentence, calls me to a much higher standard than I have been living, and reminds me that (for) "...the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

How long have I hidden my face from you, Lord? How long? To say Your Word is judging the thoughts and intentions of my heart? I can no longer hide; Your very Words are in red, jumping off the page to draw me near, making me heed the warning, take in, absorb, make my own.

Do you find the words of Christ to be difficult to (a) digest? (b) understand or (c) read? Have you avoided reading them as much as I have or am in I a minority of one?

No comments: