thought from my favorite Day

Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while, then take up the sock again. Dorothy Day

 
I am still knitting. Not as much as I did, pre-Hannah, but I find it very cathartic. I took knitting with me while I was at the hospital with Molly for five days, and continue to make the “Holiday Sampler” afghan, but don’t feel all that inspired to finish. It is giving me something good to do with my hands and my time, and I knit throughout all of my AA meetings during my attendance so I am known as “The Knitter.” I have made a blanket for a member and just recently, another member approached me to make a scarf and another one, a throw blanket. I need to price out yarns and find patterns that suit me and their personalities. I might even start selling them for more than “the price of yarn.”
I wouldn’t know what to charge because it is in essence part of what helps keep me sober.

Any thoughts on that?

~+~+~

It is amazing to me, the shift in my sobriety in just the past week alone. I am finding if I continue to put myself into service (as in for my daughter or family, or a call or visit with a friend), my desire to act out wanes and my desire to read Scripture and be in God’s will increases. I have been told this for months, but am actually doing it, which makes all the difference. Being a “doer of the word, not a hearer only.” I am getting to the point where I can start sharing a little experience, strength and hope – I have never had that “pink cloud” that so many in the rooms talk about. I have never thought being sober all that exciting, just something I needed to be. Not desirable – just necessary.



Now I want to be sober! I want to wake up without the headache and the heartache over the previous night’s antics or conversations…I want to not hide from God, but want to approach Him at all times, not just for “grace in my time of need.” I want to continue on this particular path and will do so, as long as I possibly can.

I cannot believe how good this actually feels :)

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. Dorothy Day

No comments: