from "Seeking God - the Way of St. Benedict"

Think of it, all that speech pouring down, selling nothing, judging nobody ... What a thing it is to sit absolutely alone, in the forest, at night, cherished by this wonderful, intelligible, perfectly innocent speech, the most comforting speech in the world, the talk that rain makes by itself all over the ridges ... Nobody started it, nobody is going to stop it. It will talk as long as it wants, this rain. As long as it talks I am going to listen.

~~Thomas Merton


~*~*~*~*~

Wherever I am, at home, in a hotel, in a train, plane or airport, I would not feel irritated, restless, and desirous of being somewhere else or doing something else. I would know that here and now is what counts and is important because it is God himself who wants me at this time in this place.

~~Henri Nouwen

~*~*~*~*~

My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed.

~~Psalm 57:8

~*~*~*~*~

What is it, then, to be stable?...You will find stability at the moment when you discover that God is everywhere, that you do not need to seek Him elsewhere, that He is here, and if you do not find Him here it is useless to go and search for Him elsewhere because it is not Him that is absent from us, it is we who are absent from Him....This is important because it is onlya t the moment that you recognize this that you can truly find the fullness of the Kingdom of God in all its richness within you; that God is present in every situation and every place, that you will be able to say 'So then I shall stay where I am.'

~~Metropolitan Anthony Bloom.

The reason for stability? God is not elsewhere.

No comments: