will it ever be enough?

i have always instructed my children that regardless of what they do in life, as long as it isn't something "illegal" and they are enjoying what they are doing, then i am okay with that because life is far too short to not be happy.  (please see Twitter for any reference to Breaking Bad and you'll understand what i mean)

and really -- will we ever have enough?

i am kind of chuckling to myself since as of last wednesday, i had all of $24.00 in my checking account to last me until today.  i get paid twice a month - the 15th and the 30th.  it was a long stretch, my good friends. i had a wee bit o' savings and what wee bit i had, i transferred and not a moment too soon: a purchase i had long since forgotten about hit the very next day and took my transferred money and then some.  so i really had all of $14.00 to last me through the weekend.

i put out a "call to arms" email to my children at home: things are tight.  we have food in the pantry consisting of tuna, chicken, pasta, rice, beans, soups. we are not in wont.  we are not without.  we may have to ::gasp:: actually cook something for ourselves instead of relying on take out or delivery (which needs to stop, as well).  they did just fine, honestly.  (there was a brief moment when Daughter lamented about her new upgrade to iOs7 which made her phone "all wonky" and how she is due for an upgrade.  go ahead.  let that one soak for a moment, i'll wait.)

i read about how people are starving in third world countries and in our own backyards.  health care in america has hit a critical point and while the Obamacare is being launched i believe tomorrow, the monthly premiums for a family are still too high for me to pay out of pocket. it's been a difficult financial year for me, to put it mildly. no health insurance, court hearings, moving back into my house and the expense that entails, finding the balance between my social life and my being at home now with two kids in the house (plus a boarder), the electricity bill is about triple what i remembered it as being.  the taxes are due.  the balance of the bills from my other place are also due. my Middle Son works a job that he loves but does not pay well. Daughter is in second year of college and working part time.  i am working full-time and have a small part-time job on saturdays at a methadone clinic as the front desk associate (read: receptionist). i do not believe i will ever be out from under the financial hole i am in. my necessary bills are being paid, my savings is all but non-existent, but get this:  i am happy. i have serenity. peace. happiness. relationships around me being repaired and invitations to soccer games and over for birthdays are now coming in on a more regular basis and that makes me overjoyed.  i have not had an alcoholic drink in over 5 years (almost 6 but i practice a day at a time program) and my creative side is resurfacing after being long since submerged, encased in a wall of self-pity which is slowly crumbling away. life is actually pretty good.

yes, i have the almost daily "how am i going to do this, God?" conversation but i am not in a panic. He will provide for us, He always does. in the background, questions linger:  do i approach The Boss about a raise, when my review was due in January of this year? inquire about benefits for the office? do i push Middle Son to get a different job, perhaps one that pays better and has benefits? i guess i could gently guide him in that direction, but as i stated at the outset, he is in a job in a record store that he loves and music is his passion.

for now, i think it is enough.




6 comments:

Annabel said...

Yes, you will survive. I have been in a very similar situation - barely making it paycheck to paycheck, but you'll get through. You never know what opportunity will come later.

Beth Stoddard said...

So, so, so, so SO glad to read your writing. I miss you when you do not write.

When you do write, it lifts me.

Blessings to you, and happy prayers of gratitude for this new place you have found.

~pen~ said...

Annabel thank you -- my boyfriend keeps reminding me that God sees around corners and he's right. Paycheck to paycheck is ok It's something at least <3

~pen~ said...

Hello my sweet friend who I follow on Spotify :) It has been a long haul and I've been out of sight for a while in diff social mediums -- writing, however, grounds me. It's my heart and I love the fact you're still following me xoxo

SeanaLPurvis said...

Hello, Penni. From M3.

securepharmacare said...

hay there, i would like to inform Our online drug store is authentic business, and generally, you can utilize our administrations with a similar certainty you have in your neighborhood drug store.

To Avail Flat 15% Discount


Buy Ativan Online No Prescription Overnight Delivery Buy Ativan Online

Buy Tramadol Online Tramadol Side Effect Order Tramadol Online


Buy Xanax Online No Prescription Overnight Delivery Buy Xanax Online

Buy Hydrocodone Acetamin 5-325 Order Hydrocodone Online No Prescription Overnight Delivery/


Buy Percocet Online No Prescription Overnight Delivery

Buy Hydrocodone Online With a Credit Card at Low Pricesorder Hydrocodone Online Without Prescription/