humility and mortification


after Mass yesterday, i had to take max to work. it was Sunday and it was busy, but nothing extraordinary. all seats taken; no one waiting, however.

in the *back room*, there is a step down so logically, it would follow there would be a step up when you exit the room. news to me, apparently, as i missed my footing and landed flat on my knees and then hit the floor with a thud. as fate would have it, my "i laugh when people fall" daughter was sitting at the counter in direct view of my mishap, as were about 50% of my customers.

if you know nothing about me, please know this: i loathe being embarrassed. i would rather undergo root canal than suffer embarrassment in any way, shape, form. to say i was mortified is a complete understatement. i could scarcely breathe.

molly innocently, through her erupted-in-giggles expression, said "ma, i am not laughing at you, i am laughing with you..." a customer leapt to his feet to help me up and other than a bruised knee and excoriated ego, i was fine, externally. i heard many comments making light of my clumsiness, none of which i appreciated quite frankly, and we quickly gathered my things and fled through the front door.

i made it into the car prior to bursting into tears. i wasn't just crying, i was sobbing. my poor girl didn't know what to do --- this was my reaction. i don't know why i cried, usually i can pass things off, but i was beside myself and it took the better part of 15 minutes to gather myself together.

tell me: why do some people automatically laugh when another falls in front of them? i know several people who have this reaction, it is not limited to my 12 year-old, although i would rather expect it out of someone her age first than an adult...

tell me more: was this a pride thing in that i was so beside myself from doing that? nobody likes to be embarrassed intentionally; however, i feel i would rather suffer at the hands of another than my own lack of gracefulness.

what do you think? what sends you reeling, makes you mortified?

lastly, how do you think i am doing so far with my new year's resolution?

No comments: