unprecedented day - part 2

***Part II

i figured it was just as well i updated the same post to say a couple of simple things --


first and foremost: your prayers are coveted. i know i have asked for prayer so much over the past couple of months it seems selfish. when i am at a loss, i am asking my friends for help and it seems like your effective prayers are coming from righteous kinfolk and availing much.

mom has been upgraded to "serious/stable." she is no longer "critical" and in immediate danger of coding -- she did pretty well during her trial of being weaned from her ventilator today and will be through another trial tomorrow and, hopefully, extubated. the pulmonologist said there was a spot on her "upper right lobe" that could be scarring from the emphesema or "something else...we will be monitoring it very closely." yeah, you will :)

thank you again for your prayers. i mean that from the bottom of my really exhausted heart.

peace to you.


***Part I

i was at work at the hospital when i received a telephone call from my husband stating my brother called to tell us my mom was rushed to the hospital because she had difficulty breathing.

this was at 9:37 a.m.

by 11:00 a.m., she had been placed on a ventilator because she was in full-blown respiratory failure. thus far, they are uncertain what is causing it: she has COPD (Emphesema), liver disease, and potentially heart failure.

"does she have a history of these?" (asked her new cardiologist, pulmonologist, and infectious disease doctors...)

"this is the first we have heard of this..."

we are in shock.

please say a prayer for her tonight and tomorrow - her name is patricia and she is awake and aware enough to be scared.

so are her children.

21 comments:

Regina said...

I am so sorry, Penni- you have my prayers most faithfully...

Rodney Olsen said...

I will certainly pray for you today.

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Prayers coming your way Pen.

robwitham said...

She and you are in my prayers, too.

Rob

Anonymous said...

She is in Good Hands. The Best. Let her see that in your eyes.

She's in my prayers, now, too.. keep us posted, please.

myosotis said...

So sorry Penni. Praying for her and you. Yes, do keep us posted.

ukok said...

Penni, as a fellow lung problem sufferer I am all too aware of how frightening this must be for your mother. Please know that I am praying for Patricia and for all whom hold her dear to their hearts.

(((hugs across the big pond to you, my dear)

Jayne said...

Oh Penni.... prayers ascend for you, your mom, and your family.

Steve Bogner said...

You're both in my prayers, Penni. Take care.

Unknown said...

Penni, I am praying for your mother, you, and your family - for healing and for peace.

"We fly to thy patronage, O holy Mother of God; despise not our petitions in our necessities, but deliver us always from all dangers, O glorious and blessed Virgin. Amen."

Anonymous said...

Penni;

I have every one I know praying for you including Fr Greg of standrewparish.blogspot.com. If I can do anything let me know.

Kat

owenswain said...

Coming to this news rather late but, as ever, I am praying

Hope said...

I'm on my way to Mass shortly - will be lifting you all up in prayer.

Curious Servant said...

Heavenly Father... I ask that You draw near to P.'s mother... Bless her Lord, touch her and heal her... Please grant the doctors wisdom and strength, the nurses and technicians endurance, and strength, and grace... Please draw near to the family, grant them strength and peace in being in Your hands lord. Lord, I ask You for Your embrace for all those touched by this situation. Grant blessings to them and use this situation to bring You glory. I beg this in the name of Your son, wh we honor in this season. --Amen

Gabrielle said...

So sorry to hear this, penni. I will pray for your mom, too. And thank you for telling us her name.

Anonymous said...

Your mom is in our prayers also.

Anonymous said...

I am still praying.

Jayne said...

Love to you Penni, and prayers that your mom will wean off the vent today with no problem. Keep us posted.

Suzanne Temple said...

We will add her to our intentions, too.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, Pen, I'm really sorry. Having gone thru all this several times, I'm aware of the situation, too. Keeping all of you close to heart and in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

You and your mother are in my thoughts and in my prayers today.

When I am anxious I need something in may pocket to touch, a rosary, a worry stone, a wallet my mother gave me when I was 7.

When my mother was in the hospital on a ventilator, I brought in a tiny silver cross that I taped to the side of the bed. she could move her hands and feel the shape of the cross. I also brought in a handkerchief my granny (her mother) had embroidered. She held onto it. We need to hold on to whom we are