Mornings with God

anthony ulinski
Sliced pears and blue coffee pot
2003
oil on canvas
24" x 20"
private collection


~*~*~

...of His fullness, we have all had a share -- love following upon love. John 1:16

I was stricken when I came upon this verse in the first chapter of John this morning. How many times have I read the first chapter of John? How many times has it been read to me after Mass in a litany of prayers by Fr. Malcolm?

Why did I not hear it before?

Digression: I have so many translations online and in real life in my home, but my favorite translation of all-time is the 1971-1972 edition, New American Bible, Catholic Bible Publishers, Wichita, Kansas. It took me a very long time to find it and I am desperate to find one that is a bit more "tote-able" as this one is a coffee table book and I need a bit of room when I open it. Hard to take notes when I am reading because it is bulky. If anyone has any other suggestions, I am open to them.

Back to my original thought -- this verse, above, is lovely, pure, simple. It took my breath away, like what happens when I read a particular Psalm or Song of Solomon. I find it an incredible thing that this Book, this ancient book is so alive today and so geared toward our lives and our hearts, our thoughts, the same as it was so long ago.

Indeed, God's word is living and effective, sharper than any two-edged sword. It penetrates and divides soul and spirit, joints and marrow;
it judges the reflections and thoughts of the heart.
(Hebrews 4:12)

Remarkable. How many of us really want our thoughts and intents discerned? It shows me that although He can reach me through the sweetness and light verses like the first one I quoted, above...

Nothing is concealed from Him;
all lies bare and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must render an account.
(Hebrews 4:13)

... God also reminds me He is merciful and just, able and worthy to Judge.

I am also reminded that while I wouldn't change my new-found habit of communing with God first thing in the morning, He is not the easiest Deity to have breakfast with...

No comments: